Тема: Толерантне ставлення до оточуючих
Мета: вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення й читання; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати відповідальне ставлення до сімейних цінностей.
Talk with your partner about these situations. Which have you experienced? Which would make your parents really angry?
• a party while parents are away
• crashing the family car
• losing the family’s photo albums
• being expelled from school being caught stealing by the police
• taking drugs and underage drinking
• teen pregnancy
Discuss in groups if adults should try to teach young people lessons, such as the dangers of drinking too much, taking drugs or catch the AIDS virus, or they should leave them alone to find out about these things themselves.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of both approaches?
Use the following expressions:
• To begin with,
• We need to discuss…
• Let’s start by (V ing)
• We’ll start by (V ing)
• The problem here is…
• One advantage of / Another advantage of / The main advantage of / The greatest advantage of
• The first advantage of teaching… is…
• One disadvantage of/Another disadvantage of/The main disadvantage of /The greatest disadvantage of/The first disadvantage of leaving them alone… is…
|GROUP 1||GROUP 2|
|To teach young people lessons||To leave young people alone|
4. Reading and speaking
Read the article and say what you would do in that situation.
1) What do you think of Corey’s actions?
2) What questions would you like to ask Corey and his parents?
‘BEST PARTY EVER’ COSTS PARENTS $20,000
The parents of an Australian teenager may have a $20,000 bill to pay for damages caused at a party held by their son. Corey Delaney, 16, decided to throw a party in his house on Saturday night while his parents were on vacation. He posted an open invitation on the My Space website, which resulted in 500 teenagers showing up at his Melbourne home. The youths got drunk and started damaging neighbouring properties. After complaints from neighbours, 30 police officers, police dogs and a backup helicopter went to break up the party. The young partygoers threw rocks and stones at the police and their cars. The state police commissioner Christine Nixon told a news conference that Corey “needs to learn a lesson, and one way or another we’ll be making sure that happens”.
Corey seemed proud of his party when reporters interviewed him. Australia’s Nine Network TV news asked him what advice he had for other teenagers planning a party. His reply was: “Get me to do it for you!” He added that he had organized the “best party ever”. Corey explained how the party grew to be so big: “It was just an open house party and a lot of people came and it overflowed onto the street… The cops came and told all the people to quiet down… There were people bottling cars and the whole streets were flooded with people”, he said. His parents were furious at their son’s actions: “We’re absolutely disgusted that he could do this, not only to us but to our neighbourhood”, his mother said. Corey was apologetic towards his neighbours, saying: “It was really unfair what happened to them”.
Ex. 1, p.77 (Answers)
Ex. 2, p. 77.
Тема: Сімейні цінності
Мета: вдосконалювати навички вживання 3rd Conditionals і навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення, читання й письма; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати поважне ставлення до сімейних цінностей.
1) How would your life have been different if you had been born a boy/ girl?
2) How would your life have been different if your family had won the lottery?
3) How would your life have been different if you had ten brothers and sisters?
4) How would your life have been different if you had never decided to learn English?
5) How would your life have been different if you had quit school at ten?
6) How would your life have been different if you had never met your best friend?
7) How would your life have been different if you had become famous as a child?
8) How would your life have been different if you had been born in England?
9) How would your life have been different if you had gotten married at sixteen?
Do ex. 2, p. 79. (Answers (відповіді)):
Ideas for speaking
1) What values will you pass on to your children?
2) Do you think society is losing its values?
3) How have values changed in society?
4) What is a value other people think is very important which you don’t think is important?
5) What values did you parents pass on to you?
6) Are there any values that your parents tried to make you follow but you weren’t good at doing?
7) How do society’s values hold it together?
8) Some people say that poorer societies have stronger values than richer countries. Do you agree?
9) What traditional values are not important or not necessary now?
10) How do you feel when you see someone not following the values you were brought up with?
11) How do members of a family support each other?
12) Who do you think has the most power in the family? Why?
13) Do you agree with the saying “Children should be seen and not heard”? Why do you agree or disagree?
14) Are good family members or good friends more important? Why?
15) What problems do parents have to solve as their children grow up?
16) How close are you to your extended family? (cousins, aunts, great uncles etc.)
17) What is the perfect number of children a family should have?
18) What do you think of people who marry and decide not to have children?
19) How do you think western families and eastern families differ?
20) What do you think is the most important thing to make a happy family?
21) Is it better for mothers to stay at home with kids or go to work to earn more money for the family?
22) Many families send their children to private institutes or daycares for most of the day. Is this good or bad?
23) How do you define the word “home”? Is it where you live? Where your family lives or where you grew up?
24) When married people talk about having children they talk about “starting a family”. Can two married people be a family if they don’t have kids?
25) How do you think family life is changing in your country? (Example: wife working, husband cleaning, kids at institutes) Is this change good or bad?
26) What do you think of gay marriage?
27) Is spanking or hitting a good way to discipline children? Why or why not?
28) What age is too young to get married?
29) Why do people get married?
30) If you were offered an excellent job abroad could you leave your family and country for 5 years?
Do ex. 3, p. 79. (Answers (відповіді)):
5. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 4, p.80. (Example (приклад)):
Do ex. 5, p. 80. (Answers (відповіді)):
7. Homework: Talk about your family, family holidays and traditions (Розповісти про свою родину, родинні св’ята та традиції).