Тема: Урок-повторення. Виконання тренувальних вправ.
Мета: вдосконалювати навички читання й усного мовлення; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
1) Are there any famous stories of friendship in your culture?
2) Can you describe one of your closest friends?
3) Do you have any childhood friendships that are still strong today? Tell us about them.
4) Do you have any long distance friends?
5) How do you keep in touch with your long-distance friends?
6) How often do you see your long-distance friends?
Read this letter from Milena to her pen-pal, Elena. There are six paragraphs. Match each paragraph to a subject by writing the correct letter (A-F) for what it talks about.
1) Thank you for the letter you sent me last week. I’m very happy to hear that you and Francesco are well and that your exam results were so good. Well done! I know you studied hard and you deserve your success.
2) Mine are next week so at the moment I’m studying a lot. I’m really nervous about them because, if you remember, I was ill for a couple of months at the end of the year and so I missed a lot of lessons. When they finish I would like to come and visit you for a few days, if that’s OK with your mom and dad.
3) Do you remember I told you about my friend Amanda from Scotland? She’s going to come here next month and is going to stay for two weeks. I’d like you to come too so you can meet her and we can all go out together. What do you think? We can practice our English!
4) I remember last year we had such a good time. The beaches near your house are wonderful and I really enjoyed meeting your friends (especially Roberto! Is he still single?) I can’t remember the name of the disco next to the train station but I’d like to go there again — it was fun.
5) Oh, guess what! Jason broke his arm last weekend! He went to the skateboard park with his friends from school and fell down some steps (he doesn’t know how to skateboard!) He’s got a plaster cast and he’s going to have it for at least six weeks. He’s such an idiot!
6) My mom’s calling me for lunch so I’ll finish this letter now. Say hello to your family and don’t forget to congratulate Francesco for me.
Lots of love
PS. Say Hi to Roberto too!
B Well done!
Key: 1 B; 2 D; 3 C; 4 A; 5 E; 6 F.
Think out and discuss the following items:
1) What is a friend?
2) What qualities do you think are important in a friend?
3) What qualities do you appreciate in your friends? What makes someone special or best friend?
4) Are you good friends with your family members?
Read the text and do the task below.
Everyone knows Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, but not many people know about Parents’ Day. This started in July 1994. President Bill Clinton signed a law that made the fourth Sunday of July a day we can celebrate both of our parents. The law says Parents’ Day is for “recognizing, uplifting, and supporting the role of parents in the rearing of children”. The day came about because of campaigning by religious leaders. They decided it was important to have a day to promote responsible parenting. Parents must also celebrate their children on this day. One important theme is to strengthen the idea of the traditional, two-parent family. Campaigners say the increase in one-parent families is leading to a rise in social problems.
Parenthood is the most important responsibility any of us can have. The parent-child relationship is the most powerful human bond. Becoming and being a parent brings countless joys and happiness. It becomes the responsibility of every parent to uphold their duty of raising their God-given gift with love, care and support. Being a parent can be an almost life-long endeavour. One of the most popular activities in many communities is to honor “Parents of the Year”. It is an almost impossible decision to make because there are so many truly wonderful parents. Make sure that on this Parent’s Day, your parents and children know exactly how special and important they are.
Put the lines in the correct order according to the text.
|both of our parents. The law says Parents’ Day is for “recognizing, uplifting, and supporting the role|
|1||Everyone knows Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, but not many people know about Parents’ Day. This started|
|it was important to have a day to promote responsible parenting. Parents must also celebrate their children on this|
|powerful human bond. Becoming and being a parent brings countless joys and happiness. It becomes the responsibility|
|be an almost life-long endeavour. One of the most popular activities in many communities is to honor|
|say the increase in one-parent families is leading to a rise in social problems|
|of every parent to uphold their duty of raising their God-given gift with love, care and support. Being a parent can|
|day. One important theme is to strengthen the idea of the traditional, two-parent family. Campaigners|
|Parenthood is the most important responsibility any of us can have. The parent-child relationship is the most|
|and children know exactly how special and important they are|
|of parents in the rearing of children”. The day came about because of campaigning by religious leaders. They decided|
|wonderful parents. Make sure that on this Parent’s Day, your parents|
|“Parents of the Year”. It is an almost impossible decision to make because there are so many truly|
|in July 1994. President Bill Clinton signed a law that made the fourth Sunday of July a day we can celebrate|
1) What make a good friend? Describe a friend of yours. What do you like about them? How can you be a good friend?
2) Do you believe your parents should be your friends?
Review the vocabulary and grammar of the topic;
Do ex. 4, p.37-38.
(Повторити ЛО та граматику теми; виконати впр.4, с.37-38)
Тема: Друзі допомагають жити довше
Мета: вдосконалювати навички аудіювання, усного мовлення й читання; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати поважне ставлення до людей похилого віку й сімейних цінностей.
Which of these things would you like to do with your friends when you reach your seventies? Talk about how different these things might be at 70.
Hiking, bungee jumping, study English, travel around the world, ballroom dancing, go on dates, talk about the old days.
You may add your own variants.
4. Writing and speaking
Work in pairs
Talk about whether you prefer to do / spend the following activities / occasions with family or friends. Do you think this will change when you are in your seventies?
|Activity||Family or friends (now)||Family or friends (in my 70s)|
|Shopping Birthdays Go to the movies Overseas vacations Go to restaurants Chat on the phone Visit a doctor for a health check Christmas, Easter or similar religious event E-mail Other … Other…|
Change partners and explain what you discussed with your previous partner.
Talk about whether you will still be doing/celebrating the activities/occasions when you’re in your seventies and what difference being older will make.
Listen to a journal article and say if the following statements are true or false.
a) Friends are more important than family for a longer life.
b) A study was carried out on 1,500 British 70-year-olds.
c) Good friends can help you live 22 years longer.
d) Social activity has positive effects on the body.
e) A group of 70-year-olds was studied for a period of 10 years.
f) The group was monitored every year over the 10-year test period.
g) The death of a spouse greatly affected the test data.
h) The message is to keep in touch with friends for a longer life.
Key: a T, b F, c F, d T, e T, f F, g F, h T.
FRIENDS HELP YOU LIVE LONGER
A new health report says that having good friends in your old age helps you live longer. The report also says that having close friends may be more important than having close family ties. Researchers interviewed 1,500 Australians over the age of 70 about their social and family ties. The results suggest that people with close friendships were 22 per cent more likely to live longer. The researchers said this is because of the positive effects on the body of social activity and recreation.
The researchers analyzed data from an Australian study, which began in 1992. The 10-year-long study measured how behavioral, economic, environmental and social factors affected the health of 70-year-olds. The senior citizens were monitored annually for four years and then at three-yearly intervals. The team found that those with the strongest network of friends were less likely to die by the end of the ten-year period. This was true even when the senior citizen lost a spouse. The message is to keep in touch if you want to live longer.
6. Vocabulary practice
Match the following phrases from the article (sometimes more than one combination is possible):
|a) in your||1) likely to live longer|
|b) close||2) annually|
|c) 22 per cent more||3) old age|
|d) the positive effects||4) and recreation|
|e) social activity||5) friends|
|f) researchers||6) intervals|
|g) environmental||7) in touch|
|h) senior citizens were monitored||8) on the body|
|i) three-yearly||9) analyzed data|
|j) keep||10) and social factors|
Key: a 3, b 5, c 1, d 8, e 4, f 9, g 10, h 2, і 6, j 7.
7. Writing and speaking
Work in groups.
Discuss the following statements in your groups.
1) I’ll have more friends when I’m 70 than I have now.
2) I’ll see my friends every day when I’m in my seventies.
3) When I’m old, my friends will be more important to me than they are now.
4) I’ll argue a lot less with my friends when we’re old.
5) I’ll still be making new friends even in my seventies.
6) All of the friends I have now will still be friends when I’m 70.
7) I’m looking forward to being 70 and talking to my friends.
8) Write down questions about friendship and old age.
9) Ask other classmates your questions and note down their answers.
10) Go back to your original partner /group and compare your findings.
11) Make mini-presentations to other groups on your findings.
Would you rather be surrounded by family than friends when you are old?
Write an essay on what you think your life will be like when you are in your seventies.
(Написати есе про те, яким, на твою думку, буде твоє життя у 70 років)